Sunday, August 22, 2010

So this one time, I was in Mexico...

Wow. What a CRAZY week! I honestly don't even know where to begin. But, I guess that I'll start at the beginning.
On Thursday morning, I said goodbye to my whole life in Utah, and boarded the plane to Mexico! Tears were shed by all, but mostly me. In all of my preparations for Mexico, it never really hit me that I would be leaving for four months and living in Mexico! Well, it hit me when I had to say goodbye to Brad and my mom at the airport. I don't know if they were as sad to see me go, but oh well. They were good pretenders!
I met up with the rest of my group in Phoenix, and after a turbulent plane ride, (I loved it!) we made it to Mexico City. Wow. What a crazy place. I can't even begin to try to explain how big and busy and dirty and colorful that city is! But - it is. Just take my word for it. We met up with our native coordinator Teo, and then boarded the bus that would be taking me all across Mexico! Oh that bus. El Sprinter. The memories we made on it. The people getting sick, all of people's junk piled on it, half-eaten boxes of Froot Loops (which were mine), and...experiencing...all of the speed bumps that Mexico has to offer, while riding in the back seat. It was just great!
We drove a couple of hours to Puebla to dump off most of our luggage, and then started on our journey, but not before we ate at our first-ever real Mexican restaurant. Really good! It was also our first taste of all of the weird looks that we would be getting in the future. Gotta love being a gringa!
Mmmm... 'twas very good. I have no idea what kind/type of meat that was, but I've found it's better to have the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. Believe me - sometimes you just don't want to know.

3 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see a new blog post pop up from you! Loved it. Keep them coming. Good luck at school tomorrow. You will be an AWESOME teacher! We love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Suzy! It sounds like you're having a great time! How fun!!!! - Tricia Que rico parece la comida. Seguro que vas a aprovechar de esto. Provecho!!! Jared

    ReplyDelete